27 Apr

Finished: Medieval pouch again

Here’s my second medieval pouch. This took a while because I haven’t been working on it very often. I got the majority of it done while I was at the Legislative District caucuses a few weeks ago (for 14 hours… don’t get me started on that. I didn’t knit the whole time I was there or I might have actually finished it all that day!).

Technical specs:
Green and grey yarn: Cascade 220 Heathers
Blue yarn: Vintage 1970s Brunswick Germantown from Goodwill
Needles: US 6, 16″ circular
Cord and tassels: DMC perle cotton. Cords are twisted plied cord because I haven’t yet gotten around to learning fingerloop braiding.

Chart: Refined version of my own earlier chart, based on motifs from period knitting in Rutt’s History of Hand Knitting, and also inspired by charts created by Dame Christian de Holacombe, found here. I used Excel to draw out the chart.

I encourage anyone interested in a project like this to try it. It is very easy. It looks much harder to knit one of these than it really is.

Now, no more pouches for a while, I hope.

18 Apr

Design in progress: creating the Melusine scarf

Recently I had an opportunity to design a knitting pattern using Brooklyn Handspun sock yarn. I had been kicking around the idea of designing a beaded lace scarf for a while, and was planning to use some pink Spritely Goods yarn in my stash. But creating the pattern for Brooklyn Handspun sounded like fun. I’ll do something else with the Spritely Goods.

During my projects lately, I generally put periodic updates on my Ravelry page for the project so as not to clutter up the blog, but I thought it would be interesting to post about the process of designing this pattern.

Read More

%d bloggers like this: